The Interim Guide, also called an IG, is a removable, rubber appliance that is worn as a retainer part-time to hold the correction and space made during the initial phase of orthodontic treatment to help guide permanent teeth are still erupting.
INSERTING/REMOVING YOUR IG
1. To insert place IG on your upper teeth and push up to seat.
2. Bite into the IG to seat your lower teeth.
3. To remove simply open your mouth and remove.
1. Wearing your IG properly will help lessen the amount of time needed in second part of orthodontic treatment once the permanent teeth have finished erupting.
2. The IG can be worn either of the following ways:
A.) While Sleeping- this is preferred if possible
B.) During Daytime hours-If unable to sleep with the appliance wear it a minimum of 4 hours during daytime hours while reading, watching TV, doing homework, playing video games
3. If your IG is not in your mouth it should be kept ONLY in the case provided. Placing your IG in a napkin, backpack, pocket, or a purse will result in a broken appliance. There is a fee to replace broken IG.
4. Patients occasionally experience tooth sensitivity while wearing the IG. Treat discomfort with over the counter pain medication. Sores may also develop from the plastic rubbing against gum tissue. Treat gum sores with warm salt water rinses (1tspn salt to 8oz of water) 3 times daily. If patient experiences severe pain, contact our office.
5. Slurring speech is expected and is a necessary drawback to treatment.
6. The patient is wearing the IG correctly when his/her teeth are lightly clenched and biting the appliance. Simply having the IG rest in the mouth does not promote treatment. Patients will often notice that their “bite” feels different. This is normal and will end once treatment is complete. The patient will quickly get adapt to their new bite.
7. Interim Guides should always be kept away from animals, dogs especially because they love to chew them. They should also be kept away from heat sources as this will dry, and distort the rubber.
8. Keep your IG clean- Brush it as you would your teeth. You can also use a denture cleaner or soak it in white vinegar.
9. ALWAYS bring the IG appliance to your check up appointments. The doctor needs to check the fit each time.
10. Any questions regarding your IG appliance should be directed to the orthodontic staff.